This Special Education Needs course aims to provide trainees or those who wish to enter the Community and Social Services environment, with the necessary basic skills and knowledge to effectively support children with special needs in the early childhood education.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Work with children with special needs using the necessary skills
- Support learning for children with special needs
- Establish programme plans and services capable of meeting complex needs of children with special needs
- Assist with the development and implementation of communication programmes to meet the needs of children with special needs.
- 3 GCE ‘O’ Level credits including English Language.
- A credit in GCE ‘O’ Level English Language; IELTS 5.0; or at least average SOA 5 in the WPL series.
Students must pass all prescribed modules. Upon successful completion of the course, an “Specialist Diploma in Special Education Needs (Preschool)” will be awarded by Asian International College.
*This course has not been accredited by the Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA), the effect of which is that the course will not be recognized as a professional qualification required for the registration of pre-school teachers in Singapore. This condition will be in effect until such time that the PEI provides evidence to CPE that the course has been officially accredited by ECDA.
The course is delivered through a variety of engaging, interactive and hands-on modes, which include face-to-face sessions, small group discussions, projects, role-play, blended or e-learning.
Students will be assessed through various modes such as in-class test, individual/group work or written assignments.
|Module Name/Topic Name||Duration (Hours)|
|1. Overview to Early Years Landscape in Singapore (WSQ Early Years Development Framework)|
|2. WSQ Understanding How Child Learn and Develop|
|3. WSQ Support Children with Special Needs|
|4. WSQ Assist with Programming and Learning Needs for Special Needs Children|
|5. WSQ Plan, Implement and Evaluate Programmes for Special Needs Children and Strengthen Home-Centre Partnership|
|6. WSQ Support Special Needs Children with Communications Difficulties|
|7. 60hr Supervised Practice (Optional)|